Today’s Boost is an invitation.
If you struggle to carve out time to write – but the LAST thing you need is another thing people are expecting you to do, or to face another round of anxiety-inducing introductions on another Zoom call – then my Zero-Commitment Overwhelmed Writers’ League, starting this coming Saturday, might be right for you. Here’s how it will work:
1. Those interested should send me their email address in the comments or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I will send everyone a recurring GCal invite with a Zoom link for Saturdays at 11 am Costa Rica time (during Daylight Savings, that’s 12 pm EST).
3. I will then proceed to… NEVER CONTACT YOU ABOUT THIS AGAIN. No reminders or chats. No supportive Facebook group. Zero follow-through, guaranteed. (Unless you really, really, really want an occasional additional nudge, in which case you and I can work out a special exception.)
4. On any given week, if you pop in, we won’t all introduce ourselves or anything. We’ll just say “Hi!” and write – cameras and mics on or off as you please. My camera will be on to keep me honest (you are encouraged to cough disapprovingly if you see that I’ve been seized by a sudden desire to clean the office or sort my Post-Its by size). Maybe sometimes I’ll get a little crazy and put on some coffeehouse ambient noise in the background, or wear a tiara, or get a little creative with my Zoom wallpaper. But basically, I will just sit there and write, for God’s sake.
5. After precisely 30 minutes, anyone who doesn’t feel like chatting can just exit, and anyone who’d like to say something about what s/he’s writing or read a couple sentences can do so. At 40 minutes or so we’ll sign off (or get kicked off if there are 3+ people… one of the greatest things about Zoom, in my opinion).
If you sign up and never, ever come, you will STILL be doing me a big favor, because simply the expectation that someone might be waiting for me on the call will get me there to write every week. (I know, I’m weird, and a full-fledged Gretchen Rubin Obliger.) If you DO come when you can, that will of course be extra awesome. Or if the idea appeals but the selected time will never work for you, I’d love to stay in touch with you about what you’re up to with your writing, because the more writerly accountability and inspiration and prodding I can get, the better.
That’s all, folks!
I’m a writer in San José, Costa Rica, on a year-long quest to share daily posts on inspiring people, places and ideas from my adopted home as a kind of tonic during a rough time in the world. Sign up (top right of this page) to receive a little dose of inspiration every weekday in your mailbox; tell a friend; check out past posts; and please connect with me on Instagram or Facebook! If you want to learn more about how to support Costa Rica during the crisis, visit my COVID-19 section – or for ways to enjoy Costa Rica from afar, visit Virtual Costa Rica.
34 thoughts on “Overwhelmed writers unite!”
All small case
I write in a journal to clear my head and keep my serenity. I’m certainly not an educated writer. I often procrastinate so in some way, this forum will give me an incentive.
Thank you, Katherine
Hooray – sent!
This is a wonderful idea! Msacks@albion.edu
Muchísimas gracias. 🙂
Need some time to be productive 🙂